(501) 666-8868 or 1-800-828-2799
Mission Statement: To make technology available and accessible for everyone who needs it.
Overview: ICAN is Arkansas’ statewide assistive technology program. It is designed to make technology available and accessible.
Assistive technology (AT) means any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized, which helps people learn, work, communicate and live more independently, whether it be at home, work, school, in the community, or at play. AT can be simple and inexpensive, like a modified knife and fork, or it can be very sophisticated and costly, like a computerized speech device. Assistive technology promotes greater independence by enabling people to perform tasks that they were formerly unable to accomplish, or had great difficulty accomplishing, by providing enhancements to, or changing methods of interacting with, the technology needed to accomplish such tasks.
These are some of the services which ICAN offers to help Arkansans find the AT they need for success at home, school, work and in the community:
- Information and Referral;
- Equipment Loans;
- Equipment Recycling;
- Equipment Exchange;
- Equipment Demonstrations;
- Training on devices and issues related to accessibility and AT;
- Presentations about ICAN and the benefits of technology;
- Exhibits of AT;
- Tours of the ICAN Clearinghouse;
- Information resources like this website and our newsletter; and
- Technical Assistance to employers, service providers, educators, and others.
Age Groups Served: ALL ages
Diagnoses Served: ALL types of delays and disabilities
Geographic Areas Served: ALL counties in Arkansas.